North Pointe Ballet is committed to bringing classical ballet to all types of families in Northeast Ohio and most especially those in the special needs community by giving them an opportunity to engage in live arts experiences in their own communities at our sensory-friendly performances.
NPB’s sensory-friendly performances include accommodations designed to meet the unique needs of families with individuals who have extrasensory needs. These accommodations include:
- reduction of loud jarring sounds and strobe lighting,
- accommodated house rules thatallow audience members to talk and move
- about during the performance,
- extra staff/volunteer support,
- and a designated “take a break” space where sensory needs can be fulfilled while others can still enjoy the performance.
Recognizing that families of special needs individuals often have additional financial obligations to provide specialized therapy and care for their family members with exceptionalities, NPB offers these families tickets at a reduced price.
One performance of every story ballet run is a dedicated sensory-friendly presentation. This includes two productions of The Nutcracker – one in Lorain County and one in Cuyahoga County – and one production of a story ballet, such as Cinderella and Peter Pan, every spring.